Monday, December 12, 2016

Notes on A Pattern - Closet Case Ginger Jeans - The First Sew


Hello everyone,

I hesitated on sharing my first try at making Closet Case - Ginger Jeans.  Because I made the worst choice of fabric for them.  The pattern clearly states that you should use a stretch medium fabric for these jeans.  But a silly little thought came to my mind: just make them with this pretty floral print demin (with no stretch).  It will be all right.

Well, after about three hours of construction, my DD tried them on and they were too little.  I screamed in and out, more on the inside.  Lol  I couldn't believe it.  I tried to save them by adding gussets to the sides.  Now, it's from bad to worst. It looked tacky.  The true of the matter: these jeans should be made (as stated) out of a stretch woven fabric, period.



I could kick myself.  So, At that point, I decided to start on the next pair for myself, which was a stretch woven demin. More on that project later.

Today, I wanted to share my blunder and share my likes and dislikes.

The Pattern: I used view B 

There were a few things that I liked about the construction and design of the jeans.


  • The shape of the inside edge of the pocket.  It is slightly curved.
  • The construction technique of the pocket bag. Rhonda illustrates how to on the Sew News blog.
  • The slim leg of the pant
  • The option of normal rise (A) or high rise (B) pant
  • The pieces go together beautifully
Things I didn't like:
  • The placement of the back pocket.  They are too low.  I had to move them up about 1.5 inches.
  • I ordered the downloadable version to get the pattern fast.  I hated taping it together.
Another note:  The hook on the back pant is too short.  I extended it.  So you may want to test it against another pattern that fits well to make sure it's the right length for you.

More Fitting needed:  The high rise is a bit too high for me.  Next pair I will reduce it by an inch.  I used size 14 and didn't do any adjustment for my swayback.  The pants stand away from my body without a belt on.  I will correct this as well.

That's all for now.  Stay tuned more to come on the Ginger Jean.   

Happy Sewing,

C

8 comments:

  1. I think you accomplished a lot Cennetta. Were these your very first jeans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I've made several pair using big four patterns. I should have followed my usual practice.

      Delete
  2. I am planning to make a pair of jeans for myself and this pattern caught my attention since I saw it made by Rhonda. I ended up not ordering it and ordered the Angela Wolf's pattern instead. Thanks for your review, it's good to know the pattern's strong points along with the things that may not work well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you regrouped and are able to keep moving forward with these. That pocket looks brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes you really need to trust what the pattern says, unfortunately! I look forward to seeing what a sewist who really knows how to fit does with these jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank uou for your honesty. I am sorry for your wadder but reassured that someone as experienced as you can make silly mistakes. I am sure the next pair will be fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently purchased this jean pattern and will certainly heed your advice about using a stretch woven fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We all do it. Make this mistake, kick ourselves, and regroup (and sometimes have to make the same mistake again, further down the track). Glad they worked for your sister. I haven't tried making jeans yet but have this pattern so thank you for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin