Sunday, July 10, 2016

Butterick 5209 - First Summer Dress of 2016



Finally posting my review of Butterick 5209, Retro '47, dress.  This is my first summer dress of the season.  I finished it several weeks ago, but can't find the perfect tomato red hat and shoes to wear with it.  So, today without further hesitation I decided to go ahead with publishing the rest of my review.

Part I was posted in April, 2016.  Of course, I had to tweak it just a little more, but nothing extreme.  I'm sure all of us go through some minor tweaking during the sewing process.


Pattern Description:
Halter or cap sleeve dress, below mid-knee length, has side zipper, gathered bust, waist yoke, fitted self-lined bodice and flared, gathered skirt.

Pattern Sizing:  6-20; I used size 16 with modifications.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, it looked like the drawing.  On the website though, Butterick has a model wearing view A, halter style, dress.  I see that the dress does not fit well at the neckline and around the front of the bodice near the arm.  While sewing the actual dress I experience the same results at the neckline.  I was a little puzzled as the muslin did not fit like that.  So, to resolve the issue, I stitched an inch higher on the neckline and curved the center front seam a little for a better fit in the neckline.


Were the instructions easy to follow? The instruction were super easy.  No problems at all.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the style of both dress bodices.   No real dislikes.

Fabric Used:  I used a rayon challis from Vogue Fabrics in Evanston, IL.  It's been in the stash for several years.  I like the feel of rayon; it's soft and floaty, perfect for summer dresses.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  My alterations are indicating in the Notes on a Pattern post from April 16, 2016.  The link is above in the introduction.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes and yes, but with modifications.  Definitely make a muslin for the bodice at least.  I started with size 16 and ended up taking it in a bit during the sewing process. I think all level sewists can make this dress.  Just be careful with fitting the neckline.

That's it for today.  Stay tuned, I have more on UFO's and building my summer wardrobe.  And guess what?  I've already starting to plan fall and winter garments.

Happy Sewing!
C



8 comments:

  1. that is so pretty, love the fabric and it looks great on you. Lovely summer dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look gorgeous! The dress is beautiful and very flattering. I love that print!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous dress! It looks fantastic on you. The right fabric for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful dress. It says "Summer is Here!" You look lovely and I love it with the yellow shoes. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a gorgeous first summer dress too! Saw your scopes today! Thanks for always sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Timeless look, wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have great clothing patterns, and I love your design....keep stitch'n.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin